National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

Property Name Cooper Grant Historic District (Boundary Increase)
Reference Number 15000850
State New Jersey
County Camden
Town Camden City
Street Address 300 North Delaware Avenue
Multiple Property Submission Name N/A
Status Listed 12/1/2015
Areas of Significance COMMUNITY PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT, INDUSTRY
Link to full file https://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/15000850.pdf
Image
The Cooper Grant Historic District includes approximately four city blocks on the south side of the elevated approach to the Benjamin Franklin Bridge in Camden New Jersey. The district currently encompasses what is now a residential neighborhood developed in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century, as well as remaining nonresidential buildings typical of an urban neighborhood during the period, including a church, a firehouse, and a free public library (now the Walt Whitman Cultural Arts Center). Through these buildings, the district represents several facets of the community development common to the blocks within and around the district in the decades around the turn of the century. The buildings stand on land that the Cooper family had owned since the early eighteenth century. When the land north of Cooper Street became available in the second half of the nineteenth century, developers began to build houses northward for Camden's expanding population. On the newly available Cooper land and in the adjacent blocks to the south near the waterfront, industries, including Esterbrook Steel Pen Factory, Campbell Soup Company, and the Victor Talking Machine Company provided much employment near the turn of the century. The Cooper Grant Historic District was near a local transportation hub; the Camden and Atlantic Railroad ran to the waterfront just north of the neighborhood, while the Pennsylvania and West Jersey Railroad ran to the river a few blocks to the south. Each had passenger and freight stations and connected passengers with the ferries crossing to Philadelphia and provided transportation for goods being produced in the new factories. The city blocks bounded by the railroads and the waterfront were a mix, to greater and lesser degrees, of dwellings, businesses, schools, religious and social institutions, and, increasingly, industrial plants. The period of significance identified for the district is 1864-1930.

Any Associated Files

 

Weekly List Search Page

Properties are listed in the National Register of Historic Places under four criteria: A, B, C, and D. For information on what these criterion are and how they are applied, please see our Bulletin on How to Apply the National Register Criteria