National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

Property Name 10th & Pierce Car Barn
Reference Number 15000792
State Nebraska
County Douglas
Town Omaha
Street Address 1100 Pierce Street
Multiple Property Submission Name N/A
Status Listed 11/12/2015
Areas of Significance Transportation, Architecture
Link to full file https://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/15000792.pdf
Image
The 10th & Pierce Car Barn is eligible for the National Register under Criterion A: Transportation and Criterion C: Architecture for its association with changes in local transportation technology and its significance as the only double-decker car barn in Omaha, a design that allowed it to house streetcars at both its first and second levels. When this building was constructed, the Omaha and Council Bluffs (O&CB) Street Railway was in the middle of a large modernization program that included complete electrification and a shift to a pay-as-you-enter system that required larger streetcars. Additionally, the 10th and Pierce car barn was a departure in form from other car storage buildings constructed by the O&CB, utilizing a sloped site to accommodate two levels of cars. The period of significance begins in 1909 with the construction of the building and ends in 1955 with the discontinuation of streetcar use in Omaha. The barn was designed by R.H. Findley to accommodate new, larger streetcars introduced by the O&CB in November 1909. The construction of this building coincided with the closure of the Harney car barn at 20th and Harney Streets, which was not large enough to accommodate the new streetcars. The 10th & Pierce Car Barn was in use until 1955, when buses replaced streetcars for public transportation. A trucking company then purchased the building and occupied it for an unknown time period. At an unknown date the building was sold again and the new owner leased it to the United States Postal Service, which currently uses it as an annex for their nearby postal facility. The car barn is one of only two surviving streetcar barns in Omaha, and it is the only double-decker car barn ever built in the city.

Any Associated Files

 

Weekly List Search Page

Properties are listed in the National Register of Historic Places under four criteria: A, B, C, and D. For information on what these criterion are and how they are applied, please see our Bulletin on How to Apply the National Register Criteria