|The Young, Browne, Phelps and Spingarn Educational Campus Historic District, located in northeast Washington, DC, at the intersection of Benning Road and 26th Street NE, is composed of a planned school campus, including four Colonial- and Classical Revival-style schools. The district includes the Charles Young Elementary School (1931), Hugh M. Browne Junior High School (1932), Seth Ledyard Phelps Vocational School (1934), and Joel Elias Spingarn High School (1952). The district is eligible at the local level of significance under Criteria A and C under the Multiple Property Document: Public School Buildings of the Washington, D.C., 1862- 1960 with education, black history, architecture, and community planning and development as the Areas of Significance. The campus meets the National Register Criterion A in the areas of Education and Black History as the first and only planned public educational campus in the District of Columbia; all four buildings were constructed as segregated African American schools that reflect the development of the adjacent African-American neighborhoods, which include Langston Carver and Kingman Park. The school campus served as the center of a tightknit African American community and reflects the history of African-American public schools and education in the District of Columbia from segregation through integration. The campus also meets National Register Criterion C in the areas of Architecture and Community Planning and Development as a historic district. The buildings are excellent examples of the Colonial Revival and Classical Revival styles and reflect the evolution of public school architecture in the District. The period of significance extends from 1929 to 1954, which captures the District's acquisition of the parcel in 1929 to construct a public school campus for African Americans, through the construction and development of each of the four schools and the campus, and the transition from a segregated African-American campus to an integrated campus and school system in 1954.