National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

Property Name Montlake Historic District
Reference Number 15000499
State Washington
County King
Town Seattle
Street Address Approximately 50 blocks roughly bounded by the Lake Washington Ship Canal , Interlaken Park, 15th Ave. E. , and the Washington Park Arboretum
Multiple Property Submission Name N/A
Status Listed 10/15/2015
Areas of Significance Architecture
Link to full file https://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/15000499.pdf
Image
The Montlake Historic District is a cohesive and highly intact collection of early 20th century houses that reflect the architectural styles typical of this period in Seattle's development. It is significant at the local level and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C. The period of historic significance begins in 1904, the date of construction of the earliest building in the district and ends in 1959, at the tail end of active build-out of the area and prior to construction of State Route 520 which bisected the neighborhood. Although the first plats in Montlake (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of present-day SR 520) was platted in 1909. With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition, a streetcar line was built on 24th Avenue E., attracting development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line. Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences. The district also has a couple of impressive institutional buildings, and several notable parks and naturalistic landscape features. Montlake was almost completely developed by the late 1930s, so it was relatively unchanged by the dramatic post-World War II growth that occurred in Seattle's newer neighborhoods. However, a number of more modern houses appeared in blocks filled with Craftsman and Tudor Revival residences. Some of these newer buildings were duplexes or triplexes, reflecting the demand for housing at the University of Washington, which expanded rapidly due to the G. I. Bill's education benefits for ex-service members. In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood as well as neighborhood identity.

Any Associated Files

 

Weekly List Search Page

Properties are listed in the National Register of Historic Places under four criteria: A, B, C, and D. For information on what these criterion are and how they are applied, please see our Bulletin on How to Apply the National Register Criteria