|The Glenn M. and Edith Averill House was designed and built between 1905 and 1906 on a narrow urban lot at 1113 2nd Avenue SE in the Oak Hill residential neighborhood east of Cedar Rapids' central downtown district. The Oak Hill area is described by Marlys Svendsen: "Originally the name "Oak Hill" was used to describe the entire southeastern section of Cedar Rapids. The name first appears on the subdivision platted in 1857 by S.D. and Sarah Carpenter. Tradition has it that the name resulted from the presence of several varieties of oak trees native to the area." (Svendsen, Section E, Page 8) The Averill's lived in the house until1913 when they moved into a new home on their linn County farm and rented out their home on 2"d Avenue SE . In 1924 it was sold to the Phi Alpha Pi fraternity, after whic.h it was used for residential apartments, and more recently had been used by several different businesses. Very few changes were made to the house to accommodate these different uses however and the original interior layout, materials, cabinets and fireplaces remain. In 2011 it was purchased, along with other houses in the area, by St. Lukes Hospital for construction of the P.C.I. Medical Pavilion . The house was slated for demolition when the current owner purchased it and, after obtaining preliminary approval from the National Park Service, moved it to a compatible lot on 4th Avenue SE, just six blocks to the south and west from its original location. The house has been rehabilitated following the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation. The Averill House was designed by the local Cedar Rapids firm of Josselyn and Taylor, a partnership described as "one of the first major modern architectural firms in Iowa" (Shank, Page 90}. The house is a good example of late 19th and early 20th century American residential architecture with a mixture of details from several different architectural styles of the day. It is one of the few remaining homes in Cedar Rapids designed by the firm of Josselyn and Taylor.