|The Hastings Brewery Building at 219 W. 2nd Street in Hastings, Nebraska is locally significant under Criteria A and C in the areas of Industry and Architecture. The building served as home to two significant local businesses Hastings Brewing Company and Kauf and Rinderspacher (K & R) Food Products, Inc. for more than 70 years. Reflecting the German heritage of the brewing industry and first professional brewery design specialists, the Hastings Brewery Building portrays Rundbogenstil, a German style common among Pre-Prohibition American breweries making the breweries a unique property type among industrial architecture of period. The Hastings Brewing Company was formed in 1907 with stockholders comprised largely of Hastings businessmen. Established during a time when the temperance and prohibition movements were already well entrenched, the Hastings Brewing Co. focused primarily on manufacturing and distribution. The firm specialized in the manufacture of lagers which had displaced ales in popularity; their most famous varieties were Ritter Brau, Prairie Pride Beer and Personal Liberty Brew all marketed as old-style German beers. The popularity of lager beers was associated with German immigrants and resulted in major technological advances in the brewing industry. Germans introduced the cold maturation lager that demanded controlled cooling which impacted the design of breweries to include ice houses and insulated rooms. Shortly after opening, the brewery expanded, constructing a bottling plant. By 1911, Hastings boasted the second largest brewery in the state. Despite the brewery's early success, just nine years after the building was constructed, Prohibition passed statewide in the November 1916 election and went into effect in May of 1917, ending all manufacture and sales of alcohol. While the vast majority of Nebraska's breweries closed, The Hastings Brewing Co. reorganized into Hastings Cream and Beverage Company. They produced ice cream and non-alcoholic beverages for a short time but the venture was not profitable. The Bottling Works facility, a separate one-story building on the south, was sold to Ward C. Hunt in 1920 and became home to Hastings Ice Cream Company - a function it served for the next thirty-plus years.