|The West Bergen-East Lincoln Park Historic District is a well-preserved and intact suburban residential neighborhood in the City of Jersey City, Hudson County, New Jersey. The historic architectural stock largely dates from the neighborhood's heyday as Jersey City's most fashionable streetcar suburb and automobile-era residential area. The Jersey City and Bergen Railroad's Montgomery Street streetcar line, chartered in 1859 and extended to within three blocks of the district by 1873, provided a convenient and affordable connection to Jersey City's older waterfront and downtown about two miles to the east. New residential construction was sustained over a period of nearly 60 years from the mid-1870s to 1930s through a process of subdivision by owners, developers and builders, with economic peaks and valleys contributing to a diversity of periods, house forms, and styles. All of the district's surviving residential buildings post-date the extension of the streetcar line in 1873, although churches from 1861 and 1872, and a firehouse from 1871, also survive. Buildings represent a significant range of late Victorian to early Modern styles including Queen Anne, Italianate, Colonial Revival, Tudor Revival, Classical Revival and Art Deco. Several of the buildings are attributed to prominent Jersey City architects John T. Rowland and Hugh Roberts. The historic district is distinguished by its architecture from other residential areas of the city, particularly the downtown with its brownstone row houses and the working-class neighborhoods of Greenville and Communipaw with their modest and less-varied vernacular houses. The architecture of the West Bergen-East Lincoln Park Historic District is locally significant under Criterion C within a historical and cultural context derived from the status and aspirations of the city's emerging upper middle class of professionals and businessmen.