|The Park View Christian Church was constructed in two phases, in 1905 and 1920 on the site of an older chapel, built in 1877, and served as a house of worship for the surrounding Park View community. The origins of the church lie in a multi-denominational Sunday school that was established for the instruction of children in this formerly rural section of the District. Area residents organized as the "Whitney Avenue Union Mission Association" and purchased a 50- foot-wide lot on Whitney Avenue, now known as Park Road. The Sunday school, a subsequent sewing circle, and other groups met in the 1877 brick chapel. In 1905, a large auditorium, the Kimmel Memorial Hall, was built at the rear (north) of the 1877 chapel, and in 1920 the present church was constructed in front (south) of this hall. The 1920 building which includes the character-defining front parapet facade was designed by Orie L. Beardsley a young Army engineer and inventor, and a resident of Park Place and a member of the Park View congregation. The Park View Christian Church was active in the building until 1945, when it relocated to Eastern Avenue in the Shepherd Park neighborhood. At that time, the Park View Christian Church sold its Park Road property to Trinity A.M.E. Zion Church. In addition to being an old congregation and a representative of one of the oldest African-American denominations, Trinity was the site of an important experiment in the War on Poverty, a pilot of a Great Society program that is still active.