|Eaton High School in Eaton, Ohio, is eligible for listing on the National Register under Criterion A for its role in the local community as a center of education. The facilities construction and subsequent additions are reflective of broader educational trends in the state and nationally. The school was initially built during the progressive era in which new specialized spaces were incorporated into the schools and allowed for a broader range of teaching. Later trends such as increasing population and the increased prominence of athletics and vocational training in schools let to the 1951 gymnasium addition and renovations, and the 1951 and 1961 classroom additions. Eaton High School meets National Register Criterion C as the work of William B. Ittner, a nationally known school architect. Ittner revolutionized school design at the tum of the 20th century first in St. Louis, where he developed a national model for subsequent schools. The school embodies the distinctive characteristics of a school from that era. The school features an "open plan" in an H shape to provide plenty of natural light and is set back from the street on a spacious lot with enough room for landscaping and playgrounds. Schools of this era utilized central heat and ventilation and modem plumbing on each floor. Ittner schools were the first to have multiuse rooms, such as the auditorium used for athletic events, concerts, school assemblies or plays. Many schools designed by Ittner, and seen in his design for Eaton, featured decorative tile work and art in the corridors.