|Carrollton Hall is eligible for the National Register under Criterion C, in that it embodies the distinctive characteristics of a grand Greek Revival country villa. These characteristics include granite ashlar construction, symmetrical massing, low-pitched gable roof, projecting entrance pavilions with strong columned porticos; the interior features vaulted ceilings, symmetrical architrave molding with bull's-eye corner blocks, and marble mantels and plaster trim incorporating classical motifs. The house was designed by Baltimore architect William F. Small, who apprenticed with Benjamin Henry Latrobe in Baltimore and Washington from 1818 to 1820. It was built by Charles Carroll of Carrollton, the only Catholic signer of the Declaration of Independence, and the only surviving signer at the time, on 1000 acres of his Doughoregan Manor estate his for his granddaughter Emily MacTavish in 1831-32. Small had collaborated with Dr. William Howard, an amateur artist and civil engineer and an aficionado of Greek Revival architecture, on several buildings in Baltimore, and Carrollton Hall shows the influence of Howard on Small's work. The house was designed in a five-part plan with hyphens and wings, but these were meant to be added later, and this never occurred. The house remained a country retreat and farm until 1924, when it was sold to a developer and the farm was subdivided. The Novitiate of the Franciscan Fathers Minor Conventuals of Maryland purchased the mansion in 1928. At that time the house became temporary living space for the friars and offices for various church functions. The period of significance, 1831-1924, begins with the construction of the house and ends with the transfer of the property out of its original use as a country estate.