|The Stonebraker House, c.1875, meets Criterion C for its architecture. Built of wood frame construction, the two-story house embodies the finer characteristics of a high-style Italianate house. Its asymmetrical, L-shaped plan; low hip roof; tall, narrow windows with pedimented lintels; richly ornamented bay window; and entablature with scroll brackets make it the most exuberant Italianate house in town. The builder used atypical materials: Dutch-lap wood siding with wooden quoins at principal corners, both to simulate masonry construction. Later additions and changes add to the complexity of the house: the owners replaced the porch in the 1890s with one likely ordered from a millwork pattern book; rooms were added to the rear that also used Italianate details, and lastly, some practical alterations in the 1920s made space for additional bathrooms and a breakfast room. The Stonebrakers were a pioneer family in Wayne County. John Stonebraker, first owner of the house, was a successful dry goods merchant, a Civil War veteran, and grandchild of two of the earliest Euro-American settlers of the area. John's wife Caroline (Stake) Stonebraker was originally from Ohio.