|The Sanger Brothers Building, located in what was historically the shopping district of downtown Fort Worth, Texas, is eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places under Criterion A in the area of Commerce and under Criterion C in the area of Architecture, both at the local level of significance. When constructed, the building was the main downtown location for the Sanger Brothers Department Store, and it later served as both Lerner's Store and Meacham's Department Store. In recent decades, the building has housed offices, including the headquarters of the Color Tile Company. The building is significant for its association with downtown retail trends, as a commercial resource illustrating the changing dynamics and design of the downtown department store during the early and mid-twentieth century. Specifically, the building characterizes the evolution of the downtown retail establishment, designed in the early 20th century as a tripartite commercial-style building with revivalist ornament. By the mid-twentieth century, the building was perceived as tired and New York-based designer Erno Fabry was retained to redesign the interior according to a more informal mid-century aesthetic, so that the building could once again offer Fort Worth's shoppers a desirable shopping destination. The renovations allowed the building to regain its stature as one of downtown Fort Worth's most popular department stores. The period of significance begins in 1925, which corresponds with the building's original construction date, and ends in 1964, which represents the 50-year threshold for National Register eligibility. This period encompasses the continued occupation of the building by a series of important local retail merchants, illustrating significant commercial trends in the city.