|The Sigma Alpha Epsilon Building, at 24 E. Stewart Road in the city of Columbia, Boone County, Missouri is locally significant under Criterion A in the area of Social History, and Criterion C in the area of Architecture. It is significant in the area of Social History as the longtime chapter house of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon (SAE) fraternity. The local SAE chapter, which was founded in 1884, is the third oldest fraternity at the University of Missouri, and the oldest SAE chapter in Missouri. Architecturally, the building is significant as a restrained, intact example of the Neo-Classical Revival style, which was popular in the United States in the early 20th century. The style found special favor with "Greek" social organizations on college campuses, including those at the University of Missouri-Columbia. At the core of this building is a former military academy which was built ca. 1908. In 1929, the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity purchased the building, and with the help of architect Fred Wallace, remodeled it to its current form. It has been in use as a fraternity house since that time. The building was damaged by fire in 1965, but carefully restored to its 1929 appearance soon after, and the house today looks much as it did when the first fraternity members moved into the building in 1929. The period of significance begins with the 1929 remodeling project and ends in 1966, with the conclusion of the restoration work.