|The U.S. Inspection Station--Chateaugay was included in the Multiple Property Submission for U.S. Border Inspection Stations, States Bordering Canada and Mexico (Inspection Station MPS). As demonstrated in this registration form, the U.S. Inspection Station-Chateaugay retains most aspects of integrity and meets the registration requirements in the Inspection Station MPS to be eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places under Criteria A and C, at the local level of significance, period of significance 1933. Despite the removal of two detached residences from the property, the main building retains most of its original program elements, and well demonstrates the historic characteristics of Inspection Station MPS Property Type Number 2: 5-bay Inspection Station. The Chateaugay Inspection Station was previously determined National Register eligible after a visit by NY SHPO review staff in May 1996. It was also determined eligible for the National Register by GSA on July 20, 2004. Under Criterion A, the U.S. Inspection Station-Chateaugay retains the associative attributes necessary to convey that it was one of the first set of purpose-built U.S. Border Inspection Stations that were planned, designed and constructed by the U.S. Government to improve land border security. Constructed in 1933, it was sited alongside a border highway at one of the locations recommended in 1928 by H.A. Benner of the Bureau of Customs and J.L. Hughes of the Bureau of Immigration. Its construction was, therefore, in direct response to a chain of events including the imposition of head taxes and country quotas on immigration in 1917 and 1921, smuggling arising from the prohibition of alcohol in 1919, and the increase in usage of the automobile and improved roads in the 1920s. Under Criterion C, the U.S. Inspection Station-Chateaugay retains adequate integrity to convey the design, plan, and program from the time it was constructed by the Treasury Department. Despite the painting of the brickwork, the exterior and interior of the station's buildings still convey the historical design, workmanship, and materials of the facility's original construction. The Colonial Revival design system was employed throughout the facility through a combination of: brick and clapboard exterior wall surfaces, symmetrical design, steep gable roofs, multi-light doublehung sash windows, and keystones in flat arches. The building retains a high degree of integrity and is distinguished, both in its exterior and interior features and materials, as a good example of the Colonial Revival style, particularly for its associative values as a record of the self-image of Federal government buildings during the 1930s.