National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

Property Name People's Methodist Episcopal Church, People's Methodist Church
Reference Number 14000432
State Colorado
County El Paso
Town Colorado Springs
Street Address 527 East St. Vrain Street
Multiple Property Submission Name N/A
Status Listed 7/25/2014
Areas of Significance ARCHITECTURE, ETHNIC HERITAGE: Black, SOCIAL HISTORY
Link to full file https://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/14000432.pdf
Image
People's Methodist Episcopal Church is locally significant under Criterion A: Ethnic Heritage: Black for its service to its African-American congregation from the time it was built in 1904 until 1965, when the congregation relocated to another building. The neighborhood around the church housed one of the largest African-American communities in the state and the church was constructed in response to the religious and social needs of this community. In the area of Social History, the church further served as the headquarters for the Universal Negro Improvement Association Colorado Springs Division Number 508 from its inception in 1921 to its disbanding in the mid-1930s. The Universal Negro Improvement Association, established by Marcus Garvey in 1914, became one of the largest black empowerment movements in the world. Marcus Garvey personally visited Colorado Springs in May 1922 and again in October 1924 with his wife, Amy Jacques Garvey. Finally, People's Methodist Episcopal Church is eligible under Criterion C: Architecture at the local level from 1904 to the early 1930s as it embodies the distinctive elements of the Queen Anne style while incorporating elements of the Gothic Revival style as interpreted by local builders and craftsman. Historic alterations, completed sometime in the early 1930s, included a broader, more steeply pitched roof, replacement of the arched windows with wood tracery, removal of at least three smaller double-hung windows with transoms, and replacement of two side-by-side, arched steeple openings with a smaller, single, centered arched opening. The building is one of the oldest wood-framed and clad churches in the Colorado Springs area still standing on its original foundation. The building has served as a place of worship its entire existence.

Any Associated Files

 

Weekly List Search Page

Properties are listed in the National Register of Historic Places under four criteria: A, B, C, and D. For information on what these criterion are and how they are applied, please see our Bulletin on How to Apply the National Register Criteria