National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

Property Name Mission Nuestra Señora de la Soledad Historic District
Reference Number 14000344
State California
County Monterey
Town Soledad
Street Address 36641 Fort Romie Road
Multiple Property Submission Name N/A
Status Listed 6/27/2014
Areas of Significance EXPLORATION/SETTLEMENT, ARCHAEOLOGY, ETHNIC HERITAGE/HISPANIC, ETHNIC HERITAGE/NATIVE AMERICAN, RELIGION, ARCHITECTURE
Link to full file https://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/14000344.pdf
Image
Mission Nuestra Señora de la Soledad is eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places under Criteria A, B, C, and D at the local level of significance in the Areas of Exploration/Settlement, Hispanic and Native American Ethnic Heritage, and Religion, Architecture, and Archaeology. Mission Soledad was the thirteenth of twenty-one Catholic missions established in California by the Franciscan order between 1769 and 1823. The missions and subsequent settlements impacted the overall development of the state through architecture, language, and culture. Mission Soledad is the final resting place of Governor Jos' Joaquin de Arrillaga, first governor of Alta California 1804-1814. The mid-twentieth century reconstruction of the Chapel and South Wing represent the work of a master, Harry Downie, established as a mission restorer in the 1930s. Much of the rest of the district is in ruins, with potential to yield important information about the life of the Franciscans, the mission system, and the Native people who lived and worked at Mission Nuestra Senora de la Soledad. Mission Nuestra Senora de la Soledad's first period of significance begins in 1791 with its establishment as the thirteenth California Mission and concludes with the 1850 repair and/or reconstruction of the 1832 Chapel by Feliciano Soberanes. The second period of significance begins in 1954, when Harry Downie completed the reconstruction of the Chapel and ends in 1962, when he completed the South Wing reconstruction.

Any Associated Files

 

Weekly List Search Page

Properties are listed in the National Register of Historic Places under four criteria: A, B, C, and D. For information on what these criterion are and how they are applied, please see our Bulletin on How to Apply the National Register Criteria