|The Salem Avenue/Roanoke Automotive Commercial Historic District is locally significant under Criterion A in the areas of Commerce, Industry, and Community Planning & Development. Most of the buildings within the district, including the two buildings added with this boundary increase, are representative of typical commercial buildings of their day and illustrate the impressive growth in the city during the early to mid-twentieth century. Though generally without distinctive architecture, they illustrate the manner in which the city's economy blossomed to incorporate a wide range of firms, many of them quite small in scale. These buildings were constructed during the district's period of significance, ca. 1909-1958. The period of significance begins with the area's transition from residential to commercial and light industrial uses. From the 1920s to the 1950s, numerous automobile related businesses and dealers were established in the district. The period of significance ends with the construction of the most recent commercial building that contributes to the district's historical significance.