National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

Property Name Bangall Post Office
Reference Number 14000224
State New York
County Dutchess
Town Bangall
Street Address 105 Hunns Lake Road
Multiple Property Submission Name N/A
Status Listed 5/19/2014
Areas of Significance Social History, Architecture
Link to full file https://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/14000224.pdf
Image
The Bangall Post Office is significant under Criteria A and C for its role in the social and commercial development of Bangall and as an intact representative example of an early twentieth century mixed-use commercial building. Constructed in 1915 by Harrie Knickerbocker during his term as postmaster, the building originally served a dual purpose, incorporating a store and post office, two functions typically housed in buildings of this type. The partition with the postal boxes (numbered 451 through 630) and window dividing the private and public spaces was transferred from the former Newburgh post office in 1915. The building did not function as a general store; however, only items such as candy, cigars and dry goods were sold. In 1954, a community free library was established in the front area of the building, and later the space was used to store the Stanford Historical Society's collections. Despite this change in use, the building's primary function has and continues to be a post office; therefore, the period of significance extends to the 50-year mark to encompass the longest period of time associated with the primary function of the building. It was Harrie's daughter, Barbara Knickerbocker Beskind, who donated the Bangall Post Office to the Stanford Historical Society in 1973. While not designed or constructed by the federal government, some general characteristics expected to be found in a post office were incorporated, including the floor plan (public vs. private spaces), principal/main entrance, and its roadside location at a major intersection in the hamlet. The building retains a high level of integrity, with the functional divisions and period finishes present throughout. Owned by the Stanford Historical Society and leased by the United State Postal Service, the post office "represents an identity for that address area" and continues to serve the local community.

Any Associated Files

 

Weekly List Search Page

Properties are listed in the National Register of Historic Places under four criteria: A, B, C, and D. For information on what these criterion are and how they are applied, please see our Bulletin on How to Apply the National Register Criteria