|"The United States Post Office and Custom House at 180 Kellogg Boulevard East in St. Paul is locally significant under National Register Criterion A in the area of Government as the center for the City of St. Paul's postal operations through most of the twentieth century. The building is also associated with the Minnesota statewide context ""Urban Centers, 1870-1940."" When the original building was completed in 1934, it was hailed as the most modern new post office in the United States, and served to consolidate and expand post office and federal operations in the city. The building served as the main postal distribution center for the region until 2010, when the United States Post Office moved its bulk mail operations to nearby Eagan, Minnesota. Completed in 1934 with major additions in 1939 and 1961, the United States Post Office and Custom House exemplifies the enormous expansion and push for modernization that transformed the country's postal system in the twentieth century. Because the building served as the main postal facility for St. Paul from 1934 through 2010, the period of significance for the building begins in 1934, when the original building was completed, and extends to 1964, the National Register fifty-year cut-off."