National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

Property Name St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Reference Number 14000189
State New Jersey
County Bergen
Town Englewood
Street Address 113 Engle Street
Multiple Property Submission Name N/A
Status Listed 5/5/2014
Areas of Significance Architecture, Art
Link to full file https://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/14000189.pdf
Image

St. Paul's Episcopal Church was founded in 1865 in Englewood, NJ. The Sunday school building (now chapel) late Victorian reivial in style and the church late English Gothic in style. Both buildings were designed by Thornton Floyd Turner ,1 a former parishioner and well-respected New York City architect. He initially practiced on his own and then joined George Hill CE after 1865 and practiced as Hill & Turner. 2 The firm completed several important landmark buildings in New York City, including Euclid Hall on Broadway .3 St. Paul's Episcopal Church houses exceptional examples of stained glass, designed by three master stained glass studios -Louis Comfort Tiffany, John La Farge, and the J & R Lamb Studios with designs by Frederick S. Lamb and Katherine Lamb Tait.4 The Parish House designed by Master Architect Aymar Embury Il 5 was completed in 1916 in the Tudor revival style with half-timbered walls and stone gables. Aymar Embury II designed several important buildings in New York City including Jones Beach State Park on Long Island, and New York City Parks and Recreation Central Park facilities, and was also the chief architect for the design and construction of the Verrazano Bridge, Bronx- Whitestone Bridge and Lincoln Tunnel. In 1922 a small addition was added on the east side of the parish house designed by architect Charles Wesson Hoadley6 of the New York firm Hays and Hoadley. Both Hoadley and Embury were very influential in the design of classical and Tudor revival houses in Englewood.

[photo]  
Stained Glass Windows of St. Paul's Episcopal Church


Any Associated Files

 

Weekly List Search Page

Properties are listed in the National Register of Historic Places under four criteria: A, B, C, and D. For information on what these criterion are and how they are applied, please see our Bulletin on How to Apply the National Register Criteria