National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

Property Name Quick, Martin A. , House
Reference Number 14000094
State New York
County Steuben
Town Bath
Street Address 123 West Morris Street
Multiple Property Submission Name N/A
Status Listed 3/31/2014
Areas of Significance Architecture
Link to full file https://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/14000094.pdf
Image
The Martin A. Quick House, built in 1877-78, is architecturally significant under Criterion C as an Italianate style residence, a style popular from 1850 through 1880 that began in England as part of the -Picturesque- Movement. The house used a common Italianate form of an asymmetrical elevation of a two-story gable front and wing plan. While many Bath village residential houses were built in the Italianate style, few were constructed of red pressed brick. Fewer retain their original outbuildings. The Quick House represents the simpler detailing of earlier versions of the style rather than the later, highly decorative examples of High Victorian Italianate, which was popular toward the latter part of the nineteenth century. The house retains substantial integrity to its period of significance and remains an impressive architectural landmark in the village of Bath. The house also represents the lifestyle of a member of the emerging white-collar professional class in America at the close of the nineteenth century. The choice of a fashionable residence indicated a level of success that resulted from his important position on the railroad and the relationship between the railroad and the village. The Quick House was literally at the center of activity for the village's industries and communication. Its close proximity to the railroad made the Quick residence a familiar landmark to merchants and farmers who had business at the Erie freight house and one in particular, livestock dealer Dominick McFeely, who bought the house in 1898.

Any Associated Files

 

Weekly List Search Page

Properties are listed in the National Register of Historic Places under four criteria: A, B, C, and D. For information on what these criterion are and how they are applied, please see our Bulletin on How to Apply the National Register Criteria