National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

Property Name Oakdale Cemetery
Reference Number 13001158
State North Carolina
County Henderson
Town Hendersonville
Street Address North and south sides of Sixth Avenue West (U.S. 64), west of Valley Street
Multiple Property Submission Name N/A
Status Listed 2/5/2014
Areas of Significance Art, Social History, Ethnic Heritage: Black
Link to full file https://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/13001158.pdf
Image
Oakdale Cemetery, established by ordinance in 1883 on Shaw's Creek Road, now Sixth Avenue West, is the City of Hendersonville's public, municipal cemetery for the burial of whites, African Americans, paupers, and members of the Jewish community. In December 1885, the city purchased 5.5 acres and physically established the cemetery, devoting the larger portion for the white section on the south side of Shaw's Creek Road and the African American section on the north side. The white section was expanded in 1913 and 1943, and the city sold a section two-thirds of an acre in size to the Agudas Israel Synagogue - Hendersonville's sole Jewish congregation in 1938. In 1936, the city gave a small, square area of twenty burial lots in the 1885 section to the Hubert M. Smith American Legion Post for a World War I memorial, and in 1951 gave the Hedrick-Rhodes Veterans of Foreign War Post a memorial area in the 1943 addition for a World War II monument and the burial of World War II veterans. In 1923 and 1955, the city allowed Hendersonville's Methodist Episcopal Church and First Presbyterian Church to reinter burials from their respective cemeteries to Oakdale Cemetery's 1885 white section, and 1913 and 1943 additions. During the 1950s, the city expanded the African American section. The cemetery now encompasses twenty-two acres with approximately 5,400 burials aligned linearly in blocks created by paved roads that bisect each section. Family plots are enclosed by granite and concrete curbing that form grassed rows between each plot.

 

Weekly List Search Page

Properties are listed in the National Register of Historic Places under four criteria: A, B, C, and D. For information on what these criterion are and how they are applied, please see our Bulletin on How to Apply the National Register Criteria