National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

Property Name E lmwood Farm and Brownin Store 2013 Boundary Increase)
Reference Number 13000988
State Virgiinia
County Culpeper
Town Boston
Street Address Elmwood Farm Drive
Multiple Property Submission Name N/A
Status Listed 12/24/2013
Areas of Significance COMMERCE, ARCHITECTURE
Link to full file https://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/13000988.pdf
Image
Elmwood is an 1870s two-story, brick Italianate house in Culpeper County, Virginia, constructed during William Browning's ownership of the property. The house along with a two-acre setting with two secondary buildings constructed about the same time- a frame kitchen and smokehouse -were placed on the Virginia Landmarks Register and National Register in 1985 and 1986, respectively. The dwelling's local significance lies in its well preserved high-style architecture and its interior mural paintings by the well-known local artist Joseph Oddenio. The Elmwood property was part of a crown grant made to John Nalle in 1731. The Elmwood Farm and Browning Store (2013 Boundary Increase), which includes an additional five acres of the total 600 acres of the current farm, captures additional secondary buildings, structures, and sites. These additional resources include a ca. 1773 frame dwelling believed to have been constructed by Nalle's son, Martin, and that later served as a store ca. 1788 and a post office in the early 19th century; as a result, it is thought to be the oldest extant store/post office in Culpeper County. William Browning purchased the property in 183 5 and the building still bears his name through his descendents, who retain ownership of the property. Other contributing resources in the expansion include a late 18th -century stone barn, a log com crib, a 19th -century stone wall, and two chimney ruins. The boundary increase is locally significant under Criterion A in the area of Commerce and Criterion C in the area of Architecture. The period of significant begins in ca. 1773, the construction date of the early dwelling-store-post office (Browning Store), and ends in 1874 with the passing of William Browning. The only non-contributing resources are a ca. 1940 frame chicken house and a late 20th -century frame shed.

 

Weekly List Search Page

Properties are listed in the National Register of Historic Places under four criteria: A, B, C, and D. For information on what these criterion are and how they are applied, please see our Bulletin on How to Apply the National Register Criteria