|The Glen Ellyn Downtown North Historic District is locally eligible for listing to the National Register of Historic Places in the areas of commerce, community planning and development, and architecture. The proposed district meets Criterion A as a physical representation of the of the commercial history of the Village of Glen Ellyn, which evolved from a small cluster of blacksmith shops, harness-makers, and groceries along the newly-established Galena and Chicago Union Railroad in the 1850s, into a compact and lively central business district serving a booming suburban population 100 years later. The earliest buildings in the district date from the 1890s, with the majority dating from the prosperous decades of the early 20th century. The district also meets Criterion A as the product of a focused movement within Glen Ellyn in the 1920s to control and direct commercial growth within its central business district. The creation during this decade of the village's first zoning ordinance and comprehensive plan, along with the establishment of the Zoning Board of Appeals, Plan Commission and Architecture Advisory Board, all led to significant changes within Glen Ellyn's downtown, including the expansion of the business district south of the railroad tracks and the proliferation in the 1920s and 1930s of Tudor Revival commercial buildings within the district. The design decisions of the Plan Commission shaped the built environment in Glen Ellyn's downtown in ways that are plainly evident to this day, and contribute heavily to the district's overall character. The proposed district meets Criterion C as an intact collection of commercial buildings representing architectural styles from the late-19th to the mid-20th century. The district's commercial structures range from Queen Anne-style blocks dating from the 1890s to historic revival styles like Tudor Revival, Classical Revival and Renaissance Revival, which represent the district's most robust period of growth in the 1920s. The period of significance for the proposed district spans from 1890 to 1963. The year 1890 marks the beginning of the decade during which the district's earliest surviving commercial buildings were constructed; 1963 marks the end of the historic post-war era in the district, during which efforts were made to modernize and retain businesses within the village's original commercial center.