|The Capital University Historic District with the proposed Boundary Increase is eligible for the National Register of Historic Places under Criterion A for significance in the areas of education and religion. The expanded historic district has four previously-listed buildings, fourteen contributing buildings, one contributing object, and two non-contributing buildings. The four previously-listed buildings were part of the original historic district listed in 1982. In the original National Register nomination, the Capital University Historic District was nominated for architectural significance under Criteria C. The district included five buildings (four extant today) in one section of the campus that represent tastes and preferences in architectural styles from 1878-1928.1 The nomination states the University was founded by the Evangelical Lutheran Church and its importance as a Columbus educational institution, but it does not include religion or education as areas of significance. This amendment seeks to further develop the very narrow scope of the original nomination with the following: adding significance under Criteria A, adding education and religion to the areas of significance; expanding the period of significance from 1878-1928 to 1876-1969; and expanding the historic district boundaries to include the entire main block of the campus. Adding the contexts of religion and education to the record is important-these themes are the foundation of the history of Capital University. The added areas of significance then drive the expansion of the period of significance and the physical historic district boundaries to accurately reflect the history and development of Capital University. Thirty years after the original nomination, the opportunity to evaluate a more complete history and identify administrations, policies , and building campaigns that shaped the University that exists today is important.