National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

Property Name Olive Street Historic District
Reference Number 13000615
State Texas
County Williamson
Town Georgetown
Street Address Olive Street between E. University Ave. and 17th St., and a portion of E. 15th St. east of Olive Street
Multiple Property Submission Name Georgetown MRA
Status Listed 8/20/2013
Areas of Significance Architecture, Community Planning and Development
Link to full file https://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/13000615.pdf
Image
The Olive Street Historic District, in Georgetown, Williamson County, Texas, developed as a result of its close proximity to Southwestern University, an institution of higher education founded by the Methodist Episcopal Conference in 1870. In 1887, Dudley Hiram Snyder and John Wesley Snyder deeded 37 acres of land out of the Snyder Addition for the construction of a new campus for the university. The neighborhood was platted by the Snyder brothers in 1890, with lots initially sold to land speculators and the first homes constructed in the area in the early twentieth century. Two homes pre-date the formation of the Snyder Addition (1409 Olive Street, c.1885 and 1702 Olive Street, ca.1880). Due to its location directly south of the campus, the neighborhood developed as residences for those associated with the college. Therefore residences along Olive Street convey their connection with education and institutions of higher learning through the professors and university staff that occupied the homes from the 1890s until present day. The neighborhood further exhibits its significance in architecture as residences represent excellent examples of popular national architectural styles during the early twentieth century, constructed by prominent builders in the region. The Olive Street Historic District is nominated at the local level to the National Register under Criterion A in the area of Community Planning and Development, for its association with the residential growth of Georgetown in proximity to Southwestern University. The district is also nominated under Criterion C in the area of Architecture for its collection of buildings that represent mid-nineteenth century revivals, late Victorian-era, late-nineteenth and early-twentieth century movements, and the modern movement. The district is nominated under the 1986 Multiple Property Submission Historic Resources of Georgetown, Texas. Six of 23 contributing properties were individually listed in 1986.

 

Weekly List Search Page

Properties are listed in the National Register of Historic Places under four criteria: A, B, C, and D. For information on what these criterion are and how they are applied, please see our Bulletin on How to Apply the National Register Criteria