National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

Property Name Glen Ridge Historic District (Boundary Increase #2)
Reference Number 13000480
State New Jersey
County Essex
Town Glen Ridge Borough
Street Address (Avenues) Ridgewood, Sommer, Hawthorne, Victor, Forest, Oakwood, Watchung, Prescott, Sunset, (Roads) Brooklawn, Stonehouse, (Streets) Cross, Willow, Gray, Harvard, Burnett, (Courts) Claridge
Multiple Property Submission Name N/A
Status Listed 7/9/2013
Areas of Significance Architecture, Community Planning and Development
Link to full file https://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/13000480.pdf
Image
The period of significance for the Glen Ridge Historic District, inclusive of the original nomination and both boundary increases, begins c. 1870 and continues through to c. 1959, as the Borough was transformed from its agrarian origins to a dense residential suburb by the development of a series of house lots through subdivision and speculation, and when all of Glen Ridge, was fully developed to its 1895 municipal boundaries. The current boundary increase generally reflects the development of the Borough throughout the 1920s and into the 1930s with new housing typically exhibiting Colonial Revival, Tudor Revival and Craftsman influences coupled with post-World War II housing influenced by the Contemporary style. The development during these periods was indicative of the rising aspirations of middle-income families toward home ownership. Although Glen Ridge was never fully developed at the time of the Depression, a spurt of development after World War II helped make the fmal development mark on the Borough with the construction of select, small-scale residential developments and the completion of development begun prior to the war. The 1920s and 1930s development and the post-World War II developments were influenced by changes in th role of the automobile for a greater segment of the population and came primarily in three forms: the first was expansion of the commercial district along Bloomfield Avenue with the construction of the Grand Union Supermarket and Bell Telephone Company building in 1955 (part of the first boundary increase); the construction of enclaves of dense tract developments on previously undeveloped or wooded land beginning in the 1920s; and in-fill housing in already developed areas of the Borough. The last period; of development, which was focused between 1947 and 1960, established the full form and character of the Borough.

 

Weekly List Search Page

Properties are listed in the National Register of Historic Places under four criteria: A, B, C, and D. For information on what these criterion are and how they are applied, please see our Bulletin on How to Apply the National Register Criteria