|The historic Wolfe County High School (WO-C-5} meets National Register Criterion A, significant for its role in local education. The building's historic significance is evaluated within the context, Education in Wolfe County, Kentucky, 1896-2005. The builqing's site served as a seat of education in Wolfe County in changing auspices for over a century. The evolution of the educational institutions on the site-from parochial academy, to independent subscription-based education, to a locally-funded public school, and finally to a consolidation school serving the entire county-tells the story of how education was delivered in Wolfe County. Wolfe County High School, previously Campton High School, was throughout its history the only publically-funded institution offering secondary education in Wolfe County. For many years, high school education in the county was also accomplished by 2 other non-public facilities: Hazel Green Academy (1880- 1912} and the Alvan Drew School (1913-1947} in Pine Ridge. Numerous factors inhibited the establishment of publically-funded high school education for the entire county. The creation of Wolfe County High School in 1942 enabled the county to rely less on church-sponsored private schools, so that by the end of the decade, the school could provide fully for the needs of the county's children. Any living resident educated in Wolfe County likely was educated on the site. The building's prominent location on a high hill overlooking the county seat of Campton makes it a significant landmark and symbol within the community. The building's WPA construction by teams of local laborers, using locally-quarried materials, give the Wolfe County High School the distinction of being built by and from the very rock of the community.