|The Gretna Commercial Historic District encompasses approximately 6.5 acres in the core of the commercial area in the Town of Gretna, Pittsylvania County, Virginia. The construction of the Lynchburg and Danville Railroad through the area between 1872-1874 gave impetus to a growing settlement first known as Franklin Junction. In 1901, the town's name was changed to Elba and in 1916, the name was changed to Gretna. The historic district contains 26 contributing buildings, 5 non-contributing buildings, and 1 non-contributing structure. The district is eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places under Criteria A and C with a period of significance from 1881 to 1963, which extends from the construction date of the earliest building in the historic district (227-5002-0017) to the most recent construction date of a contributing resource (227-5002-0020). The district is eligible under Criterion A in the area of Commerce as representative of the historic commercial core of the Town of Gretna. The district, which is centered on Main Street, contains many resources dating to the early period of Gretna's development. The district also is eligible under Criterion C in the area of Architecture and as a significant and intact concentration of historic commercial, governmental, and social architectural resources that are examples of distinctive commercial buildings that in construction and architectural style are representative of their period. Exceptions to the Commercial style include the single governmental building in the district, the former Gretna Fire Station and Town Hall (227-5002-0022), executed in the Colonial Revival style; the Anderson Lodge #258 A.M. & A.F. (227-5002-0013), executed in the Classical Revival style; and the former Amoco Oil Co. Service Station (227 -5002-00 17), executed in the Art Deco style. The historic district is eligible on a local level of significance as a concentration of historic buildings comprising the extant core of Gretna's commercial downtown.