|The Charles M. Goodman house in Alexandria, Virginia, was the personal home of noted Washington, D.C.-area architect Charles Morton Goodman (1906-1992). Goodman's principal career achievement was to make Modem houses-houses that privileged openness in plan, natural textures and materials, and a strong visual connection to nature through extensive use of glass-available to the middle class. Goodman brought Modernism to the wider marketplace in the 1940s through the 1960s with his designs for more than 450 houses in Hollin Hills (1946- 1961) in Fairfax County, Virginia, and other Washington, D.C.-area suburban developments; prefabricated plans for National Home Corporation that informed 100,000 homes; and his 1957 Aluminum Company of America (ALCOA) Care-Free Home. By the time Goodman renovated and added onto his own dwelling in the earl,Y 1950s, when he was in his 40s, more than 32,500 houses of his design had been constructed. 2 Because of Charles Goodman's significant role in introducing the Modernist aesthetic to American domestic architecture, and because his own house, which is an unusual and striking example of an International Style addition to a preserved Victorian-era farmhouse in which he resided during his career, the Charles M. Goodman House fits within both Criteria B and C for his significance as an architect at a statewide level. The period of significance for this house begins in 1946, the year Goodman purchased the farmhouse, and ends in ca. 1960, which captures the productive years of Goodman when his designs were at their height. Secondary resources on the property include a stone-lined well, ca. 1870s, a wooden fence, 1954, and low stone walls, 1954, which are all contributing structures; a wooden fence, constructed in 2012, is a non-contributing structure.