|North Court is significant at the statewide level under Criterion A (Education) for its association with the development of Westhampton College (which together with Richmond College became the University of Richmond in 1920) and for offering higher education opportunities for women at a time when institutions primarily catered to men. The building also is significant at the statewide level under Criterion C (Architecture) for its Collegiate Gothic architecture at the hand of prominent architect Ralph Adams Cram of the Boston and New York firm of Cram, Goodhue, and Ferguson. Cram, the head architect for the university's new Westhampton campus during the early twentieth century, employed the Collegiate Gothic style that had gained national popularity at other campuses such as West Point, Princeton University, and Western Reserve University (now Case Western Reserve). While Cram's original campus plan was never fully realized due to financial constraints, Cram's legacy remains in the original seven buildings built to his designs and his Collegiate Gothic aesthetic that has guided campus architecture to the present day. The period of significance begins in 1912, the year construction began on North Court and ends in 1963, the traditional fifty-year cutoff date for rustoric properties that continued to have importance. North Court continues to be a landmark building in the heart of the University of Richmond campus today.