|The Woolf Brothers Clothing Company Building located at 135 East Douglas Avenue, Wichita, Sedgwick County, Kansas is locally significant under National Register Criteria A for COMMERCE and C for ARCHITECTURE. The Woolf Brothers Clothing Company Building was constructed in 1922 at the southwest corner of Market and East Douglas as the newest addition to the Woolf Brothers chain of stores, owned by Kansas City, Missouri businessman, Herbert (Herb) Woolf. Herb Woolf completed the real estate transaction on June 30, 1922, to purchase the two-story building that had been home to the Greenfield Clothing Company, a well-known Wichita establishment, for the sum of $300,000, which secured a 99-year lease on the property. In August 1922, the building that had served Greenfield's Clothing and Furnishings for Men for numerous years was razed to make way for the new building thereby ushering in a modernization of Wichita's retail district. At this time, the Woolf Brothers firm was known throughout the southwest as ... the last word in the retail clothing business .... Wichita welcomes this institution as a timely addition to the mercantile fabric of the city. When Woolf Brothers opened for business on January 8, 1923, it was the largest building constructed in Kansas used exclusively for the sale of clothing. The Chicago School styled building, as designed by the firm of the prominent Wichita architect, Lorentz Schmidt, stands three-stories high, with two mezzanine floors. Although the original plan was to add additional stories, the building was never increased to the ten-stories as initially reported. The construction firm of George Siedhoff, also of Wichita, was awarded the general contract at $125,000. As it stands, the design of the Woolf Brothers Clothing Company Building best exemplifies the hallmarks of the Chicago School of Architecture in the region, with its exterior grid, prominent tripartite fenestration configuration and overall division of exterior space. The period of significance is 1922 the date of the building's completion and ends in 1963, the fifty-year closing date.