|Built to serve school District #3, Marsh School is the only remaining one-room school house in the Waldo County community of Prospect, Maine. Located in the center of the town, the schoolhouse is situated on a grassy lot on the west side of State Highway 1A and is surrounded on two sides by the Maple Grove Cemetery. Probably constructed circa 1880, this was the third building to be erected as a school in the town, and was used continually for that purpose until 1963. Throughout this period the school also hosted the annual and special town meetings and provided a polling space for the town's residents. After the school was closed the building became the Town Hall and a community center, a function that lasted until the beginning of the twenty-first century. The Marsh School is eligible for nomination to the National Register at the local level of significance under Criterion A for its association with patterns of rural schooling in nineteenth- and twentieth-century Maine, and for its important role in the political and governmental functions of the town, and under Criterion C as a good example of a type of educational facility that was once common throughout the state. The period of significance commences in c. 1880 and ends in 1963, when the last classes were held in the school.