|Slater Elementary School is a purpose-built public school building constructed in 1891 for African-American students. Built when public education was segregated by race, it forms part of a complex of black schools along First Street, NW between Land P Streets. The school is named for John Fox Slater (1815-1884), a white industrialist and philanthropist from Rhode Island. In the school's eight-classroom building, representing grades one through eight, the course of study was fairly standard, including language arts, penmanship, grammar, arithmetic, algebra, geography, history, physiology, physical science, nature study, physical exercises, music, moral training, and practical life skills. When Slater opened in 1891, it was almost immediately overcrowded with students from the surrounding community clearly indicating its necessity in educating the city's African American students.