National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

Property Name Jacob's Chapel A.M.E. Church
Reference Number 13000137
State New Jersey
County Burlington
Town Mount Laurel Township
Street Address 311-313 Elbo Lane
Multiple Property Submission Name N/A
Status Listed 11/10/2015
Areas of Significance ETHNIC HERITAGE (African American)
Link to full file https://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/13000137.pdf
Image
The Jacob's Chapel A.M.E Church property, which includes the Colemantown Meeting House, the Chapel itself, and their associated cemetery, possesses local significance under Criterion A in African American ethnic heritage as the last remaining resources that mark the emergence, growth, and decline of Colemantown, an antebellum African American settlement established in 1828 that flourished into the 20th century. The emergence of Colemantown was an important event within Burlington County history. The Colemantown Meeting House, evidently placed in the settlement in 1840 and moved to its current location in 1965, served as both the first worship sanctuary in Colemantown and as a schoolhouse for the hamlet's children. It is one of the oldest all-black schoolhouses still extant in New Jersey, a remarkable survival. It is likewise remarkable that this survival was a re-purposed building adapted to become the congregation's first sanctuary. Before about 1840, African American congregations in New Jersey worshipped exclusively in re-used buildings, before the first purpose-built black churches appeared. The Colemantown Meeting House is the only known survivor of this early group of black churches. The cemetery was inaugurated about 1849. In the immediate aftermath of the Civil War, the growing congregation, then led by Jacob Mitchell, an A.M.E minister known for his success in helping other black churches build their own sanctuaries, led the effort to build the present Jacob's Chapel in 1866-67.

Any Associated Files

 

Weekly List Search Page

Properties are listed in the National Register of Historic Places under four criteria: A, B, C, and D. For information on what these criterion are and how they are applied, please see our Bulletin on How to Apply the National Register Criteria