|Constructed between 1878 and 1892, the Moye-Green House, centrally located in Portland, Sumner County, Tennessee is eligible for the National Register of Historic Places under Criterion A in the areas of exploration and settlement, and commerce. The house is also eligible under Criterion C for architecture. The Moye-Green House is significant in the area of exploration and settlement as one of the earliest residential properties constructed in Richland, renamed Portland by 1888. Positioned along the historic L&N Railroad (presently CSX Railroad) and across from the Richland/Portland Depot (not extant), the construction of the frame house began by A.C. Butt, or his sister, Kate Moye, c.1878 when the larger estate of early settler, Thomas Buntin, was subdivided and the community of Richland began its development. The Moye family was among the first to settle within the downtown area. Furthermore, the family and their heirs, retained ownership of the house through the mid-20th century.