|Appeldoorn Farm is historically and architecturally significant as a distinctive example of a farmstead that has evolved over a nearly 300-year period. Established by Benjamin and Catrina Schoonmaker in 1722, the farmstead remained actively engaged in agriculture for over two centuries, until being adapted into an architecturally significant country retreat in 1930-1937. Originally comprising about 80 acres on the northern slope of the Rondout Valley, the area of the property was doubled in the 1930s with the incorporation of an abandoned neighboring farmstead with an equally early history. The Schoonmaker stone house was restored and expanded with additions to function as a country house. An abandoned two story stone house on the annexed DeWitt property was demolished and its stone and timbers used in the construction of new buildings on the estate, then known as Appeldoorn Farm. The Kingston architectural firm of Teller & Halverson, and in particular Myron S. Teller, supplied the plans for the renovations and new construction, including a replica stone building to be used for a recreation building. Farmland has remained in use and provides a scenic rural setting for the estate. This property is being nominated in association with the Multiple Property Documentation Form entitled The Historic and Architectural Resources of the Town of Rochester, Ulster County, New York.