|Completed in 1870, the Edmund and Mary Ann Walworth Booth House in Anamosa, Iowa, is National Register eligible, statewide and under Criterion B, because it calls attention to the career of Edmund Booth and his advocacy for the education and advancement of the deaf in Iowa. Booth and four other deaf men in 1881 founded the Iowa Association of the Deaf (lAD), an organization by and for the deaf dedicated to their general welfare and betterment. Booth subsequently became the guiding spirit behind this organization. (Lang: 159) The lAD remains an active organization to the present day. In 1884, the Second Convention of Iowa Deaf-Mutes in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, elected Booth its president for the coming year, another indication of continued advocacy for the deaf. Booth's earlier work to establish the Iowa School for the Deaf, another of his significant statewide contributions, occurred in 1855, while he was living in another house, now nonextant, in Anamosa.