|Established in 1828, the Bacon-Harding Farm is significant under Criterion A in the area of settlement as one of the oldest family farms located in the Town of Gaines that is still owned and managed by the same family. The farm was part of lands acquired in 1809 by Moses Bacon, who was paid in part with land for his work in opening Oak Orchard Road for the Holland Land Company. The company encouraged farming in order to dispose of its large land holdings and create a farm-based economy that could bring much needed capital into the company's treasury. Moses Bacon was able to acquire the rights to large land holdings in lots 37 and 38 in the town through purchase and labor and add to the acreage in the following years. After he returned to Western New York from serving in the War of 1812, Moses Bacon sold 200 acres of land to each of his brothers, Elias and Hosea, thereby keeping the property in the Bacon family. The land sold to Elias was along Oak Orchard Road and he began farming the land around 1828. His success as a farmer allowed him to have a cobblestone house built for his family in 1844. The Bacon-Harding Farm is also significant under Criterion C in the area of architecture for its Greek Revival cobblestone residence, which meets registration criteria established by the multiple property document Cobblestone Architecture of New York State (1993). The house retains it original function as a residence with its exterior and interior features intact and retains its rural setting of being located in an area that consists of farms and open, rural lands. Four buildings are within close proximity to the residence. These buildings are considered contributing to the nomination since they were constructed during the period of significance, retain much of the original fabric and are associated with the historic dairy farming operation established by Mary and Ruth Harding around 1914.