Clipboard icon. This link bypasses navigation taking you directly to the contents of this page.


How to Use
the Readings


Inquiry Question

Historical Context


Reading 2
Reading 3



Table of

Determining the Facts

Reading 1: The Battle of Guilford Courthouse

On the bright, late winter day of March 15, 1781, the Revolutionary War came to a remote county seat in north central North Carolina. Guilford Courthouse, with its population of considerably fewer than 100, was on this day the temporary residence of 4,400 American soldiers and their leader, Maj. Gen. Nathanael Greene. The British had overrun Georgia and South Carolina and showed every indication of ripping the stars and stripes of North Carolina and Virginia from the new American flag. From the ragged remnants of a defeated southern army, Greene had raised a new force comprising 1,700 Continentals (three-year enlistees in the regular army) and about 2,700 militia (mostly farmers who were nonprofessional temporary soldiers called up for short periods of service during an emergency). Early on the morning of March 15, General Greene deployed his men in three lines of battle across the Great Salisbury Wagon Road that led off to the southwest toward the camp of the British army commanded by Lord Charles Cornwallis. Although grossly outnumbered, Cornwallis nonetheless was certain that his redcoats, victors on scores of battlefields, could overcome the rebels.

The battle began about noon and progressed unevenly. The first line of the North Carolina militia, its center deployed behind a rail fence facing cleared farm fields and its flanks extending into the forest, collapsed rapidly after the center of the line gave way. Before they retreated, however, the militia inflicted heavy casualties on the redcoats. One British officer later recalled that when his men of the 71st Highland Regiment were hit by a volley (a simultaneous discharge of firearms, in this case 1,500 muskets), "one half of the Highlanders dropped on that spot."¹

The second line proved to be an even greater obstacle for the British. Located in heavy forest and with noncommissioned officers ordered to shoot any men who ran away, the Virginia militia grappled with their attackers for about an hour in an action a British writer later described as "a number of irregular, but hard fought and bloody skirmishes."² After enduring more heavy losses, the redcoats finally were able to break through.

The heaviest fighting took place on the third line where General Greene had stationed his Continentals. Even here the intensity of the fighting varied; some new Continentals retreated after offering only token resistance, while other, more experienced soldiers fought furiously. In the final stages of the fighting Lord Cornwallis found portions of his army under simultaneous attack from two directions, as if caught between hammer and anvil. He extricated his men by firing two cannon directly into the mass of struggling soldiers, as if to blast them apart. A number of his own soldiers were killed in the process (another British officer, Brig. Gen. Charles O’Hara, begged him not to do it), but when the smoke cleared the battle was over. General Greene had ordered his army to retreat, leaving the British in possession of the battlefield.

Questions for Reading 1

1. What was the difference between Continentals and militia?

2. Which battle line saw the heaviest fighting? What happened?

3. Which side won the Battle of Guilford Courthouse?

4. In your own words, how did Cornwallis put an end to the fighting? If you had been in charge of the British troops, would you have made the same decision? Why or why not?

5. Compare Reading 1 and Map 2. Does the map accurately portray the scene described?

Reading 1 was adapted from Thomas E. Baker, Another Such Victory (Philadelphia: Eastern National Park and Monument Association, 1981).

¹ Eli Caruthers, Revolutionary Incidents: and Sketches of Character, Chiefly in the Old North State, Second Series, (Philadelphia, 1856).
² Major Rowland-Broughton Mainwaring,
Historical Record of the Royal Welch Fusiliers (London, 1889), 101.


Comments or Questions

National Park Service arrowhead with link to NPS website.