Skip to global NPS navigation
Skip to main content
Skip to footer
National Park Service Logo
National Park Service
Return to The Civil War
Shirley Temple at the Moore House
Actress Shirley Temple visited the Yorktown Battlefield on July 1, 1938, and was show the Moore House by Acting Chief Ranger Doust (left) and park Superintendent Floyd Flickinger.
CCC Crew Building Cannon Carriages
The Civilian Conservation Corps operated a carpenter shop in Yorktown, where they built carriages to mount cannon on the battlefield.
CCC crew mounting cannon at Grand French Battery
A Civilian Conservation Corps crew mounts a mortar in the Grand French Battery on the Yorktown Battlefield.
Golfers on the Yorktown Battlefield
Opened originally as the Yorktown Country Club in the 1920s, portions of the Yorktown Battlefield were used as a golf course until the 1950s. Here, a golfer approaches the green just outside the Yorktown National Cemetery.
CCC crews reconstructing earthworks
A Civilian Conservation Corps crew installs fraises as part of the reconstruction of fortifications on the Yorktown Battlefield.
Grand French Battery
The reconstructed Grand French Battery, shortly after completion.