Skip to global NPS navigation
Skip to main content
Skip to footer
National Park Service Logo
National Park Service
Return to The Civil War
Wesleyan Chapel (before Aug 2009)
Wesleyan Chapel 2
Remains of the Methodist Wesleyan Chapel that hosted the First Women's Rights Convention in the United States.
Wesleyan Chapel 3
The histrotic remains of the Wesleyan Chapel were stabilzed and opened to the public in 1993.
Wesleyan Chapel 4
The remains of the Wesleyan Chapel consists mainly of two partial side walls and roof beams. Archeology uncovered the buried foundation.
Wesleyan Chapel 5
The historic brick remains of the Wesleyan Chapel walls are stablized by solid blonde-colored bricks, while the roof beams are covered by a modern aluminum roof.
Wesleyan Chapel 6
Wesleyan Chapel with surround wall marking the boundary of the front wall.
Wesleyan Chapel 1
Wesleyan Chapel 7
Wesleyan Chapel 8
Wesleyan Chapel as seen from the front and corner of Mynderse and Fall Streets, Seneca Falls.
Wesleyan Chapel 9
The State of New York formally recognized the Wesleyan Chapel as an important historical site by placing this sign in 1932.
Wesleyan Chapel 10
Winter is especially harsh on the exposed historic fabric of the Wesleyan Chapel. Park Management is exploring alternatives to further protect this important structure which helps us connect to the two-day First Women's Rights Convention.
Wesleyan Chapel 11
Only two of the original four walls remain.
Wesleyan Chapel 12
The original roof beams and sheathing aresaved and protected under a modern metal cover.
Wesleyan Chapel 13
The historic mulit-colored original brick is stabilized by the new addition of solid blonde-colored brick.
Wesleyan Chapel 14
The fragile interior historic brick walls, plaster, and foundation stones of the Weslyen Chapel are especially volnerable to the effects of weather.
60th Anniversary Plaque
In 1908 the children and supporters of the First Women's Rights Convention returned to the historic site and placed this bronze plaque.
Last updated: August 1, 2014