Gatherings and commercial activities in national parks often require a special use permit. The purpose of these permits is to ensure the protection of the park's natural and cultural resources, as well as to minimize conflicts between visitors to the monument and your guests.
You must have a permit to scatter ashes in the park. There are some requirements on where you may scatter ashes. We recommend conducting your memorial early in the day, when there will be fewer crowds and more privacy.
- Your group size is limited to six people.
- You may scatter ashes on land only, away from cultural features, in an area which will not impact other visitors.
- You may not leave any monument, cairn, or other marker at the site.
- You may not bury human ashes.
- Your event must comply with all other regulations.
Total fees for permit: $85. Pay via Pay.gov (instructions below) or call 435-719-2123 with payment information.
- Non-refundable Application Fee - $55
This fee is based on an average time it takes to provide initial contact and consultation with permittees and initial review of a standard application or project.
- Administrative Fees - $30
Once a request is approved, this fee covers the costs associated with issuing a standard permit. This fee includes, but is not limited to, the average time it takes for processing fees, permit development, consultations with the permittee, managerial consultations and billing.
Applicants should submit payments via Pay.gov. To make a payment:
- Enter "SEUG" in the Pay.gov search window.
- Payment will be made at: Canyonlands and Arches NP & Natural Bridges and Hovenweep NM Special Use Permit – click on “continue to the form."
- Check which park your Special Use Permit is for, under Permit Fee click on Permit and select which type of Special Use Permit you are requesting.
- Enter a total dollar amount for the type of Special Use Permit you are requesting.
- Follow the instructions and fill out the forms.
- Save your payment confirmation; you will submit this with your application.