On January 9, 1908, with just the stroke of a pen, President Theodore Roosevelt used the powers of the Antiquities Act to create Muir Woods National Monument. William Kent, who donated the land for the monument, requested that it be named for noted conservationist John Muir.
In their own words... view the letters exchanged by these three men following that special day.
Learn more about Muir Woods' past by visiting the History and Culture web pages.
Last updated: February 28, 2015