Photo -- See Caption Below

c 1845
Manufactured in USA

Mary Lincoln’s brother-in-law, Ninian Wirt Edwards, gave this to Abraham Lincoln. It is mentioned in newspaper accounts and appears in photographs and drawings of the rooms. It held a wide variety of books since Lincoln often met with law clients in the Back Parlor where this secretary stands. Mr. and Mrs. Lincoln also retired to this room to read Shakespeare, Dickens and the poetry of Robert Burns.

Walnut, wood, glass, felt. H 210, W 133, D 57.5 cm
Lincoln Home National Historic Site, LIHO 6