4-Trails Feasibility Study - The Mormon Pioneer Trail
The National Park Service (NPS) is preparing a feasibility study to evaluate some 64 routes for possible addition to the Oregon, California, Mormon Pioneer, and Pony Express National Historic Trails. This study was authorized by Congress — in response to years of sustained public interest — under the Omnibus Public Land Management Act of 2009.
The six Mormon Pioneer Trail study routes listed in the Act are:
• 1846 Subsequent Routes A and B in Lucas and Clarke Counties, Iowa
• 1856-57 Handcart Route from Iowa City to Council Bluffs, Iowa
• Keokuk Route in Iowa
• 1847 alternative Elkhorn and Loup River Crossings in Nebraska
• Fort Leavenworth Road, Oxbow Route and alternates in Kansas and Missouri (Oregon and California Trail routes used by Mormon emigrants)
• 1850 Golden Pass Road in Utah
Please visit the website dedicated to this project at: http://parkplanning.nps.gov/projectHome.cfm?projectID=31277
There you can find scoping meetings dates and locations, add your name on the project contact list, review scoping reports and other documents, enter comments, and generally follow the progress of the study.
The map below shows the general location of trail routes. Please click on the map to enlarge.