2020 Youth Quail Hunt Cancelled
Beginning in 2019, non-lead ammunition is required statewide in California for all hunting and this includes within Mojave National Preserve.
Who can participate?
- All youth 10-17 years old who have or can successfully complete a hunter's safety education course and possess a California Junior Hunting license by September 15th are eligible to register.
- Parents or guardians are encouraged to attend but cannot hunt.
- Youth will be paired with an experienced hunter who will guide youth in tracking and harvesting these elusive game birds.
- Hunt with a guide all day Saturday: exact schedule to be determined. Sunday hunting is on your own.
- Practice hunting and wilderness safety.
- Learn more about Gambel's quail and apply this knowledge in the hunt.
- Learn field care and dressing of harvested game.
- Rangers will provide talks, tours, and camp activities.
- Meals that are provided: Saturday and Sunday breakfast.
- Bring your own lunch for Saturday and Sunday.
- Black Canyon Group Campground at Hole-in-the-Wall, Mojave National Preserve
- Directions: 20 miles north of I-40 on Essex and Black Canyon Roads.
- No hookups. Water and vault toilets are available.
- Registration for the 2020 hunt will open in August of 2020. Check back here for more information.
- Space is limited to the first 55 youth to register.
Last updated: July 31, 2020