Special Use Permits

Special use permits are required for any special use activities including scientific research projects, kayak races or river-related activities, and commercial photography and filming (including digital cinematography). In some cases, a permit fee may be required. Please allow 6-8 weeks for processing. Any application fees required must be paid prior to processing permit.

Please review the forms below and select the one suited to your activity.

Special Use Permit - Requirements
Certain types of activities require a special use permit. These include many types of organized gatherings, distribution of printed material and other public expressions of opinion, and other activities that are controlled or prohibited. See the following definitions and examples to determine if your use might be included:

A special park use is defined as a short-term activity that takes place in a park area, and that:

  • provides a benefit to an individual, group or organization rather than the public at large;
  • requires written authorization and some degree of management control from the National Park Service (NPS) in order to protect park resources and the public interest;
  • is not prohibited by law or regulation;
  • is not initiated, sponsored, or conducted by the NPS; and is not managed under a concession contract, a recreation activity for which the NPS charges a fee, or a lease.

Scientific Research Projects
The online application for Scientific Research projects can be found at:

Last updated: February 20, 2018

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

508 East 2nd Street
Yankton, SD 57078


(605) 665-0209

Contact Us