|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Joe Brehm, 605 433-5552 ext. 1241
Cactus Flat, SD – As summer days heat up, “chill off” by participating in Cold War programs and events at Minuteman Missile National Historic Site. In addition to visiting the visitor center, Delta-09 missile silo, and reservation-only Delta-01 tours, the park is adding additional program opportunities to the daily schedule for visitors to find out more about the park and its story:
- Delta-09 Missile Silo Ranger Program: Located at the I-90 exit 116, the Delta-09 missile silo is open every day from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. for a self-guided experience. Through the summer ranger programs will occur daily at 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. to give visitors the chance to learn about the capabilities of the long serving Minuteman missile
- Visitor Center Programs: Located at I-90 exit 131, the park’s visitor center is the first place to stop when visiting the park. It is open every day from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The visitor center is the home of the park’s museum and starting July 6th there will be a ranger theater program daily at 1:30 p.m. Covering a wide range of subjects, these programs will explore Cold War stories.
- Junior Missileer Program: In addition to the Junior Ranger program, the park is now offers a hands-on activity to get visitors of all ages building and launching air rockets. Will you build a hot rocket or a dud? Come out and find out. Junior Missileer programs are scheduled for 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., July 15 & 29, August 12 & 26, and Sept. 2 & 16 at the visitor center.
Beyond these regular programs, Minuteman Missile NHS will also be doing these special events during the summer:
- July 8th: Screenings of “The Greatest Weapon Ever Used.” The park will host screenings of Old Guys and Their Airplanes latest short documentary, “The Greatest Weapon Ever Used.” Throughout the day. The short film is focused on the Minuteman ICBM system and the launch officers that have been standing alert with the missiles since 1961. Show commentator/producer John Mollison will also be on site to answer questions from visitors about the episode.
- July 28-30th: The START Treaty Anniversary. In remembrance of the treaty that reduced the global nuclear arsenal and made Minuteman Missile NHS a reality, the park will be holding a three day celebration of the culture of the Cold War with a film festival, our Junior Missileer program July 29th, and commemoration of the treaty’s signing on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
- August 19th: Find Your Park Festival in Rapid City. Minuteman Missile NHS will again be joining the other South Dakota parks and outdoor organizations in inviting visitors to find their parks. Booths will be spotlighting outdoor activities and providing information about the diverse parks that serve this region.