Witness Houses

Nathan Meriam House
Minute Man National Historical Park is unique in the number of historic structures within the park, some of which were there at the opening battle of the American Revolution. These houses are called "Witness Houses" and through them we can learn a great deal about the events of April 19, 1775 and the people who experienced them first hand.

NPS Photo

Colonel James Barrett House
Colonel James Barrett House, Concord MA. Two-story house with natural, unpainted siding.

Colonel James Barrett House (circa 1705)

448 Barrett's Mill Road, Concord MA.
In 1775 this was the home of the Barrett Family. James Barrett was a colonel in the newly reorganized militia. He was also responsible for safeguarding military supplies in Concord. His home was specifically mentioned by General Thomas Gage and searched by the British soldiers on April 19, 1775.
Major John Buttrick House
Major John Buttrick House

Major John Buttrick House (circa 1710)

174 Liberty St. Concord
In 1775, John Buttrick was 44 years old and commissioned a major in Col. Abijah Pierce's Regiment of minute men. Major Buttrick is famous for leading the colonial advance at North Bridge and giving the fateful order to return British fire.
Elisha Jones House
Elisha Jones House

Elisha Jones House (circa 1740)

242 Monument Street, Concord
This house, also known as "The Bullet-Hole House" was the home of the Jones family in 1775. According to legend, a British soldier retreating from the North Bridge took a shot at local blacksmith Elisha Jones as he was standing in the doorway of his shed which (now attached to the house) can still be seen today. How true that is remains the subject of debate.

Two story dark gray colonial house
Nathan Meriam House circa 1705

Nathan Meriam House (circa 1705)

On April 19 1775, the Meriams living at Meriam’s Corner were Nathan and Abigail, in their fifties, in one house with seven children between the ages of 29 and 11, all still living at home. The fighting along what came to be called the "Battle Road" began in front of their house.

Brown two story colonial house in a semi-rural setting

Samuel Brooks House

On April 19, 1775, Samuel Brooks (1739-1811) was living with his widowed mother
on land first settled in 1692 by his grandfather Daniel, on the Bay Road in
Concord. His house was located on the border of the town of Lincoln in an area
that had been owned by members of his family since the mid-17th century. By
the time of the Revolution this area was known as Brooks Hill and the cluster of
houses on it, Brooks Village.

Last updated: December 2, 2017

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

North Bridge Visitor Center / Park Head Quarters
174 Liberty St.

Concord, MA 01742

Phone:

(978) 369-6993

Contact Us